My Blog List

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winter biathlon


I wasn't in Norway, but I felt like I was. The trees were still ice covered. Mounds of snow everywhere. Gray and cold. When I reached the top of one hill, I could see across to the Powder Ridge "ridge" and the variations of gray and white where so awesome that I had to stop and shoot. The problem was my heart rate. It was so high from the hill, that I could hardly point the camera. I exhaled, held steady, and shot it. I could not help but think of my favorite Olympic sporting event, the Winter Biathlon.

The biathlete races full speed on skis and then must stop and fire a rifle at a target. If they miss the target on any of their tries, they must take a penalty lap equivalent to the number of times they missed the target. It's brutal and fascinating! I realize they are in top physical condition, but still, their heart rates have to be through the roof. I can't imagine how they steady themselves to fire at the target. In the end, my hilly 13 mile solo run was made a little easier as I fantasized about being a Nordic biathlete even if just for a few minutes as I crested the hill and fired my camera.






1 comment:

  1. Next time, pack your rifle! Great post. Wish I could have been on the run with you. That loop makes the "Cheshire 10" seem like a warm-up.

    ReplyDelete