My Blog List

Saturday, February 26, 2011

A tale of two runs

The thought of 18 solo miles on the roads was very unappealing until I heard from Fran at the eleventh hour (ok 7:30pm) wondering if anyone was running in the morning! I was thrilled and quickly gave her my best spin hoping it would be her best offer!! Turns out it was her best offer and lucky for me, her only one!

Twelve hours later we set off for a 9 mile loop around Middletown. The roads were quiet and clear and the conversation and pace was nice and relaxed. I was feeling a bit tired though, I think from my busy week and maybe a little stress about my upcoming vacation.

After loop one, I walked with Fran for a bit, brought my dog out to see her, drank water, ate fig newtons…anything to procrastinate the second loop that I would do without her. Fran suggested that I completely change clothes. More procrastination…great idea!

Fifteen minutes after finishing loop one I had a whole new outfit on and iPod buds in my ears. It felt like I was just starting a new run! I also realized the hills were harder on the first loop, so that gave me a boost, though I did feel a little bad running the harder direction with Fran. But, she’s tough, so I didn’t dwell on that.

With a few miles to go I was completely exhausted. My legs were sore, my breathing was labored and I was starving and thirsty. My energy level was low. I definitely need to figure out the eating thing better. A couple of favorite songs later and I was home. 18. Done. I couldn't help compare the soreness I felt from the roads, versus trails. Trails are nice....

Off to Key West tomorrow for some R&R. Nice to have this run in the bank as my runs on vacation tend to be easy strolls with many stops to take in the scenery, and sometimes to figure out where I am!

I’m wishing Tricia and Mirela good luck on their 3 hour trail run tomorrow, and Fran on the second run of her weekend, with Karen. Not too many people can jump back into longer runs after an entire month off due to injury like Fran can. Ok…pretty sure Tricia could too!

1 comment:

  1. Tried to post a comment last week but I see it didn't save. Oh, well. yay, Anne!

    ReplyDelete